Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Polyclay Cuff Bracelet?

Can it be done?  I'm determined to do it!  There has to be a way to get a quality cuff bracelet made from polymer clay.  I've seen quite a few people put the clay over a metal blank... but I'm too unique to do that! 

I began experimenting with it tonight.  I first made a form out of folded aluminum foil with some wire running through it to help it hold the shape I wanted.  I rolled out a sheet of polymer clay and applied it to that form, the baked it.  Once it cooled, I peeled the form off the inside.

I immediately saw that I've got a problem.  The Sculpey Premo that I used has a good amount of flex to it.  That's the reason I used it for this project.  It's too much.  I put the basic cuff on and it falls right off.  It's own weight makes it open and close.  I need some wire in it to help it keep it's shape. 

I see the wisdom in using the metal blanks.  But I'm still not going to give up on this and use them!  Not yet, anyway.

So... here's the plan.

1.  Roll out another sheet of clay to put over the basic cuff.  I'll stamp designs and such on it.

2.  Put wire in between the second sheet and the basic cuff.  This should help it keep the form I want.

3.  Bake it and finish it.

4.  Wear the darn thing for a week!  I need to see if it's durable enough.  If it breaks because the clay can't support the daily use then there's no point in going any further.

Ok, now.  GOGOGOGO!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I saw your post on the Etsy forums and was compelled to follow the link to your blog to get the whole story. I'm really curious to see how your work progresses. Definitely keep us informed and good luck.

LKWisan

KelleyAccents said...

I'll definitely keep the blog informed. Thereby keeping you informed. And the rest of the masses that happen to make it here.